Join us in January as we lead the community in reading Theresa Flores’ books, Slavery in the Land of the Free: A Student’s Guide to Modern Day Slavery or The Slave Across the Street: The True Story of How an American Teen Survived the World of Slavery. Both books recount the same story, but the first is geared toward students while the second is geared toward adults.
Author Theresa Flores will be at the Garnet A. Wilson Public Library of Pike County on January 23rd (6-8pm), then at the Chillicothe Main Library Annex on January 24th (6-8pm). She will meet with students at Ross & Pike County Schools during the days and speak for the Ross and Pike County communities in the evenings. More details on specific times and locations will be announced soon!
Current Statistics about Human Trafficking:
• 27,000,000 people are trafficked each year worldwide / 50% of victims are children
• 17,500 people are trafficked inside the United States each year / half are children
• the average age of entry for female victims of trafficking is 12 to 14 years old / males 11 to 13
• 17,000 people are trafficked into the United States / 300,000 American children are at risk
• 1.3 million missing and runway youth in the US / 3,500 go missing every day
• pornography is a $13,000,000,000 industry in the United States
Ways to get the book:
- Place a copy on hold here for pickup at any CRCPL or Pike County library. No library card? No problem. Apply online for one here.
- Check out the audiobook (no wait times!) with your CRCPL library card at Hoopla!
- Purchase your own copy in person from various locations in town (to be announced).
- Purchase your own copy from Amazon.
This program is brought to you by:
The Child Protection Center, Adena Health Systems, Ross County Coalition to End Human Trafficking, Garnet A. Wilson Public Library of Pike County, Chillicothe & Ross County Public Library, and others.